sky_hye: (010)
[personal profile] sky_hye
Sheesh! It took long enough! I can say with reasonable certainty that the animations for this dvd project are out of the way. I suppose there might be something I can change, but even if I don't, there would be no problem. Sometimes the maker of things -- that would be me -- must know when to accept imperfection, and this may be the day.

After I last reported on the project here, Max and I reviewed and changed several parts of the script. He recommended a couple changes to the animations, and I came up with several changes of my own to handle. All of that is done, now. The script is pretty much set in stone, all except for a couple of brief sections at the end. Those parts will be synchronized to footage, not animations, so I feel confident that the intensive graphical part of this thing is handled.

I feel a great deal of relief!

Meanwhile, I have become obsessed with clothing design. I got some software that lets me design custom sized-to-me garments. For the first time, ever, I can wear designs I imagine are best for me, and that really truly fit. I always altered my store-bought sewing patterns, but never quite got the curves to the armholes and crotch area and so-on adjusted just right. I also was never completely happy with the assorted options that came with any given pattern. This software lets me get exactly what I want and fit it right without struggle. It's new to me, so the first pieces are not as complex as I expect things to get, but I can already tell it works. I have a pile of fabric that was waiting to work with patterns that never seemed to come along. Now I can pick out a chunk of fabric and design just for it, and match the yardage I happen to have.

One nifty feature is the ability to print out pattern pieces at any scale I like, so I did a 1/4 scale model of my future plaid mohair trench coat. It allowed me to consider certain design changes without wasting materials. By making a mockup and overlaying details in photoshop, I could see if I like the proportions and check how the trim I want to add will look. Very helpful! As it turns out, this helped me see that the neckline should be wider, and I believe I will make the collar a bit bigger. And I can see the trim will work the way I planned it. The illustration here makes the edging look very thick, which it won't be. It's a crude mockup, but does the job.

Date: 2011-11-20 10:12 pm (UTC)
submarine_bells: jellyfish from "Aquaria" game (Default)
From: [personal profile] submarine_bells
Wow, you've finally finished the animations? Must be such a huge relief! You've been working on them for so very long.

The coat image looks great. I'd not call it a "trench coat" - aren't they normally longer, and a different style? But it looks like an awesome coat just the same. It'd be interesting to see pics of the finished product when it's done, to compare to the pic here. :-)

On the crafty front, my current projects are:

- knitting a cabled sweater in a tweedy forest green shade for Artyem, out of yarn I spun myself on a spinning wheel; and

- card-weaving belts for all three of us out of silk that I spun on a drop-spindle and dyed myself.

The sweater will be a long time coming, but the belts are much quicker projects. When they're done, if I remember, I'll post pics of them.

It's great to see you posting again. I've been trying to raise my posting rate lately, but I've not been as successful as I would hope. Ah well, I figure that posting anything is better than nothing at all!

Date: 2011-11-21 10:44 pm (UTC)
submarine_bells: jellyfish from "Aquaria" game (Default)
From: [personal profile] submarine_bells
Spinning seems pretty common to me, but given that I'm a member of the local Spinners and Weavers Guild, I suspect my sample may not be at all representative. :-))) I did dabble with spinning cat fur at one time. The result was, um, fuzzy string. It wasn't a huge success, but it was interesting in an "I wonder if I can do this" kind of way.

Growing my own silkworms would be really interesting, but I've done a bit of reading about what's involved, and it's a pretty full-on exercise. Not only do you have to have the right kind of mulberry leaves growing where you're raising them, but they have to be fed every few hours or so, 24 hours a day, and if you miss meals Bad Things Happen. (It was a while ago I read it, so I'm fuzzy on the details. The silkworks die? the silk goes yucky? I don't recall. If you're interested, check out . It's all there.) Anyway, it's a seriously hardcore exercise, and a bit beyond me at present.

I don't think that cochineal beetles grow locally. I've certainly never encountered them. But lots of dye plants do. A friend of mine has been doing a lot of dying experiments using different species of eucalypts, and has been getting all sorts of lovely red-rust-orange-gold shades. For my part, I've been using purchased synthetic dyes because I'm more interested in getting specific colours when I want them in a repeatable way, and that's harder to do with natural dying. But I may dabble in it at some point, if the spirit moves me. We shall see.

I'll attempt to remember to post pics of the silk belts that I'm making, when I've finished them.


sky_hye: (Default)

June 2013


Most Popular Tags

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags